Monday, July 9, 2007

"Do You Believe In Miracles?"

I was two years old on February 22, 1980.

As you may expect, I don't really remember too much. I don't remember the Iran hostage situation, or the heat of the cold war. I certainly don't remember the Lake Placid Olympic games. However, it amazes me how emotionally involved I became while watching "Do You Believe In Miracles: The Story of the 1980 U.S. Hockey Team".

I'm talking literal chills while watching this thing. Which, sort of baffles me. First off, like I said, I was two when this went down. It means nothing to me in terms of actual memory. Secondly, I'm not really even a hockey fan. Hell, I'm not a real die-hard sports fan. Yet there's something about that event that really strikes an emotional chord.

I'm sure that some of it has to do with the production of the piece. The dramatic music, the background story, the editing, the interviews, they all add something, but that can't be all. I know it's not that I'm a sucker for a human interest story. I generally hate those things.

Maybe it really is that I'm seeing a "miracle" take place. An event that will most likely never be repeated in my lifetime. An immense showing of national pride. My country united against its enemy, even if it was represented by a hockey game. Or, maybe that's not it at all. Maybe I'll never know why certain events move me in unexplainable ways. Maybe it's enough to just sit back and enjoy then when they occur.

No comments: